As failed drainage was what had collapsed the previous wall, we tried to ensure that the new wall had much better drainage, both with wrapped pipes and with drainage gravel rather than ordinary fill on top.
On the north side of the driveway, a shorter mortared stone wall had been collapsing slowly for years, and we removed it.
To keep the slope in place, they piled small boulders. I would have liked a new wall, but we didn't have the funds to push that far.
With last week's rain, I got to see how the drainage behaved, and was happy about it.
One final touch was installing a post (to replace the departed light post) and railing (to replace the old pipes). This is the one piece I'm likely to modify - the one piece I can easily modify - as I don't love the pressure treated railing or the rectangular post. I should have discussed it more with them before installation day. However, they've provided a very solid foundation on which I can build.
In the end it looks great, and should work far better than it had.
If you'd like to see a lot more, I've posted a gallery of stone wall destruction and construction.Posted by simon at August 31, 2013 10:37 AM in